Fostering FAQ

Home / Fostering FAQ

What can I foster?

You can foster cats, kittens, dogs, birds, rabbits…

Currently we are most desperate for cat and kitten foster carers.

Can I foster wildlife?


WA Animals is only onboarding wildlife helpers as transporters and temporary overnight carers – wildlife will be transferred into the care of licensed rehabilitators as soon as possible.

If you are interested in finding out more about how to become a wildlife carer, send us an email with your details, location, and species of interest – we will do our best to match you with a carer or group who can help.

What about my own pets?

Having your own pets is fine!

We will endeavour to only match you with fosters who are not reactive to your own pets, however it is important that you have a space they can go away from your pets – even if this is a bathroom or laundry, this is fine! We can help you make these spaces cosy.

We require that any of your own pets of the same species as that which you would like to foster be up-to-date with vaccinations, or have a letter of exemption from your veterinarian.

Cats over 6 months of age must also be desexed, or have a letter of exemption from your veterinarian, or you must provide evidence that you are an accredited breeder.

Does it cost me anything? What do I have to provide?

We need space in homes as our number one priority! If you cannot provide any supplies, we will provide everything you need, no problem.

We are a donation-dependent charity, so if you can provide anything, that’s great! But it is not necessary.

Do I need a driver’s licence or car?

No. If you don’t drive, just let us know when you apply, and we will make sure to have a nearby volunteer keep in touch with you.

Do I need to own my own home?


If you do not own your own home, you should get permission from your landlord – if you don’t have any of your own pets, they may ask for a pet bond. Unfortunately, we can’t provide pet bond loans for foster carers at this time.

If you would like a letter of support or example email from us to accompany your request to your landlord, just let us know.

Where are your vets?

Near you! If we onboard a carer in a new area, we will attempt to open a rescue account with a local vet.

Our core vets for cats and dogs are The Pet Practice in St James, and Swan Valley Vets in West Swan.

Other species see The Unusual Pet Vets in Balcatta and Murdoch.

Do I need to register foster animals with my local council?

Not usually – it is generally accepted that temporary visitors, such as foster animals, are not required to be registered with the council.

Check with your local council for the most up-to-date advice. If they require registration of fosters, we can cover this cost.

If you would like a letter of support or example email from us to accompany your query to the council, just let us know.

I’d like to foster, but I would be too upset saying goodbye…

We hear you. But you get to see these guys off to awesome new homes, have them in your life for a little while, and welcome new ones in to help next.

Most importantly, by fostering you are saving lives.

We won’t lie and say we’ve never been emotional or teary seeing a foster off, but it is so, so worth it, and it’s always happy tears.

I’d like to, but I don’t have space…

If you’re worried about the foster animal feeling cramped, please don’t be! A laundry, bathroom, or crate with occasional outings and cuddles, are all still roomier than bunking in shelter facilities.